Saturday, August 7, 2010

Shark Attack!

We were given the morning and early part of the afternoon off. I remember being woken up at night by a big storm off the ocean. Chris and I got a room on the 12th floor, facing the ocean. I was assigned the large box of coffee. Our room smells like a coffee brewery. We slept in a little bit and had a nice relaxing breakfast. We then decided to head down to the beach and walk around. While getting ready I had the bright idea that this would be the day I swam in the ocean down in Brazil. Unfortunately for me the day that I picked was not an ideal day by any means. The wind howled and the current was strong. Something I would find out later.

While walking the beach we were hounded by vendors trying to get us to sit in their chairs. We had no desire to lay out in this type of weather. So we walked on. Finally we found a spot that looked like a good swimming area. Not sure why I found this spot to stop and jump in but I did. In addition the area of Recife is known for shark attacks. In fact surfers no longer use the beach because of frequent shark attacks. Evidently there is a strong tide that is of danger also. I decide to jump in a shark infested, strong tide area. Looking back certainly not a bright idea. I jumped in a good ways when I heard whistles coming from the shore. I looked back and saw three lifeguards. At first I was scared there were sharks around me. I swam as fast as I could back to shore. While swimming back I began to be carried by the tide to the area with reefs. The reefs are sharp and my foot was cut on one. When I got back to the shore I noticed I was in the area with flags indicating "keep out". 




No comments:

Post a Comment