Monday, July 19, 2010

Off to the countryside

Hotel Nova Jerusalem




Today we left Recife and headed to the countryside. This is always a great thing in my eyes. I enjoy cities but I never feel like I get a good feel for the country until I leave the city and head for the countryside.

On our way to Nova Jerusalem we stopped off at a few towns to compare and constrast the difference between the caatanga and the coast. It is vastly different and visible the differences. The caatanga, meaning white forest,  starts 50 miles west of Recife. It is a semi arid climate that has a vegetation of scrub thorns. The weather is much more comfortable and less humid. The wealthier families in Recife have homes in this area to get away from the city. The economy in this area is vastly different as well. Rather than the sugar cane that you see growing you see much more of a diverse growing pattern. Pineapples are grown here as well. There also is a large amount of granite that is found here and sent to the cities as the foundation for homes. Cheese and grapes are also produced in this area. In fact some Swiss families immigrated here and began to produce cheese.
Leaving Recife, headed towards the caatanga.

Eating Coxinhas, fried chicken thighs. Excellent of course

Outside Caruaru, looking at the various artisans and their work. I wandered off into the middle of nowhere.

I wandered off and headed up this hill for an amazing view.

Future Keith Moon at work

Local hat in the back country. I purchased it of course. Although the leather stinks like you wouldn't believe. I was made to put it in a zip lock bag and under the bus.

Marketplace in Caruaru, huge market















On our way to Nova Jersualem we stopped at two towns. The first was called Gravata. It is an economically vibrant, prosperous town. The town had a large middle class population. We then visited a town which is known for its artisans. There were trinkets and pottery of all kinds. The clay that is used is found in the nearbly flood plains. The countryside is great, people are very friendly. I was not into the shopping so I went on a walk down some back alleys. It was not sketchy at all. I was in a small town and knew I was safe. It was nice to get away on my own for a little bit and explore the area. I also got some great shots on camera.

The third town we visite was Caruaru. We visited a marketplace and I bought a traditional Brazilian outfit which I will have to share. This town was busy and the people seemed to be doing well financially as well.

Nova Jerusalem is very interesting. It is the site where the Passion of Christ play is performed. There are huge stages and a hotel that is incredible. The scene is out of ancient Palestine. There are large stone walls, beautiful gardens and ponds. I felt like I was transported to Jerusalem thousands of years ago. We got there later at night so were not able to explore quite as much. We had a wonderful

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog but could please hold off on the videos of guys in speedos? : -)

    ReplyDelete